I have a driving licence - Transportstyrelsen (2024)

You must renew your driving licence within five or ten years of its issue. The Swedish Transport Agency will send you a driving licence renewal document in good time before the period expires. If you change your name or personal identity number, the Swedish Transport Agency will automatically send you the renewal documents.

Renewing a driving licence

Periodical renewal

Licence categories AM, A1, A2, A, B and BE must be renewed no later than ten years after their issue. The Swedish Transport Agency will send you a licence renewal document in good time before this period expires. The document will be sent to the address in Sweden where you are registered. Licences for the higher categories (C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE) are valid for five years.

If you have a licence that must be renewed every ten years, but have not received the renewal documents around one month before the licence is due to expire (as stated on licence), you must apply for a renewal yourself.

Extend validity of higher categories

For the higher categories (C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE) you must apply to the Swedish Transport Agency before the validity period expires. You must show that you satisfy the necessary medical requirements. In some cases, you will have to supplement your application with a medical declaration and proof of good eyesight, and in other cases you may need a medical certificate.

The Swedish Transport Agency will send you the necessary documents once it is time to apply, along with information about the final application date and what you must include with it (medical declaration and proof of good eyesight or medical certificate). You can apply no earlier than one year before the category expires.

Licence photograph and fee

When you renew your driving licence, you can choose to have your photograph taken at one of the Swedish Transport Administration test centres, or submit a photograph with your application form (driving licence renewal document).

Have your photograph taken when renewing your licence (on the Swedish Transport Administration website)

For your new driving licence to be produced, you must first pay the production fee of 280 SEK to the Swedish Transport Agency.

Issuing your new licence

When your new licence has been produced, it will be sent to you as recorded delivery (REK) via one of the postal service collection centres. When you collect your new driving licence at one of these collection centres, you must do so in person. In order to be able to collect your licence, you must be able to prove your identity by presenting a valid and approved form of identification.

Lost, stolen or damaged driving licence

If you lose your driving licence, or it is destroyed or damaged and cannot be used, you must report it to us and apply for a new licence.

Report a lost Swedish driving licence(e-service in Swedish)

Foreign driving licence

Some licences issued in different countries may also be valid in Sweden.

Driving licences from EEA countries

A driving licence issued in a state within the EEA is valid in Sweden as long as it is valid in the country where it was first issued and as long as it has not been exchanged for a Swedish driving licence. The driving licence is valid even if you are registered in Sweden.

If you have a driving licence issued in an EEA state, you may also supervise private driving practice if you meet the requirements to do so.

Exchanging driving licences from EEA countries

In order to exchange your EEA state driving licence for a Swedish one, you must

  • have a valid driving licence
  • be a permanent resident of Sweden.

Find out more about permanent residency below.

How to apply:

  • Order the form Ansök om utbyte av utländskt körkort(in Swedish).
  • Send your application, enclosing your foreign driving licence in the original, to the following address:

701 97 Örebro

If you apply for an exchange of a driving licence with higher entitlements (C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D, DE), you may have to submit a medical certificate, or a health declaration and a certificate of visual examination. If that is the case, we will contact you when we have received your application.

If the Swedish Transport Agency approves your application, you will receive a decision requesting you to go to one of the Swedish Transport Administration's driving test offices to have your photo taken and provide your signature. Please bring an approved and valid identification document.

For your new driving licence to be produced, you must first pay the production fee of 280 SEK to the Swedish Transport Agency. A paying-in form will be enclosed with the decision sent to you. Your new driving licence will then be sent to you as a registered letter.

We will return your foreign driving licence to the authority from which it was issued.

Licences issued outside of the EEA

For a driving licence from a non-EEA state to be valid in Sweden, the following requirements must be met:

  • The driving licence must be valid in the country where it was issued.
  • The driving licence must not have been exchanged for a Swedish one.
  • You must not have been a registered resident in Sweden for more than one year, except if the driving licence is from the UK or the Faereo Islands. If you have a driving licence from the UK or the Faereo Islands, you may use it in Sweden even if you have been a registered resident here for more than one year.

Driving licences issued in certain countries will not be designed in accordance with the international conventions on road traffic*. If your driving licence is not designed in accordance with either of these conventions, and if, in addition, it is not made out in English, German or French, it will only be valid together with a certified translation. The translation must be into English, German, French, Swedish, Danish or Norwegian.

Search for an authorised translator at the Swedish Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency’s website.

If there is no photograph on the driving licence, it will only be valid together with an ID with your photograph.

If you have a driving licence from a non-EEA country, the driving licence will cease to be valid in Sweden when you have been a registered resident here for more than one year. In some cases, however, the Swedish Transport Agency may grant an exemption from this rule, but only if you plan to stay in Sweden for a limited period of time and if the exemption does not involve any risks to road safety.

Find out more about exemptions from this rule.

* the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic, 1949; the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, 1968

Exchanging driving licences from non EEA countries

Only driving licenses from the United Kingdom, the Faroe Islands, Switzerland or Japan may under certain circ*mstances be exchanged for a Swedish one.

Exchanging driving licences issued in Switzerland or Japan

A driving licence issued in United Kingdom, the Faroe Islands, Switzerland or Japan may be exchanged for a Swedish licence. To be able to exchange the licence, you must meet the personal and medical requirements for a Swedish driving licence and be a permanent resident in Sweden. Find out more about permanent residency below.

If you need to continue driving a car without interruption, it is essential that your application to exchange your licence is received by the Swedish Transport Agency within one year after you first register in Sweden, as your foreign licence will no longer be valid after this period.

What is permanent residency?

Permanent residency refers to a place where a person lives for at least 185 days every calendar year owing to

  • personal and professional connections, or
  • personal connection characterised by close ties between the person and the place where he or she lives.

If you live alternately in two or more states because your professional connection is not the same as your personal connection, your permanent residency will be the place to which you have a personal connection. This applies on condition that you go back there regularly.

However, if you are carrying out a time-limited task abroad, you need not go back regularly to the state where you have personal connections - you will be regarded as a permanent resident of that state anyway.

If you study at the university or any other educational institution, this will not affect your permanent residency.

I have a driving licence - Transportstyrelsen (2024)


What do I need to drive a snowmobile in Sweden? ›

There are three main requirements if you want to get a snowmobile license in Sweden:
  1. You have to be 16 years of age or older.
  2. You have to attend snowmobile training with a certified trainer.
  3. You have to pass the theory test.

Is a US driver's license valid in Sweden? ›

In general, a U.S. driver's license is valid in Sweden for one year. More information on the validity of a U.S. driver's license in Sweden should be directed to the Swedish National Road Administration (website in Swedish).

What are the driving rules in Sweden? ›

While driving in Sweden you must:
  • Be 18 or over.
  • Use dipped headlights during the daytime all year round and on all roads.
  • Make sure everyone in the car wears a seat belt at all times.
  • Wear a crash helmet if you're riding a motorcycle or moped.

What are the different types of drivers license in Sweden? ›

To be allowed to drive a motor vehicle in Sweden, you must have a driving licence, tractor licence or driver's certificate. The driving licence shows which vehicle categories you may drive, using the letters AM, A1, A2, A, B, BE, C1, C1E, C, CE, D1, D1E, D and DE.

Do you need a driver's license for a snowmobile in Sweden? ›

Who may drive a snowmobile? In order to drive a snowmobile in Sweden, it is required that you be 16 years old and have a driving licence for snowmobiles. You may begin your training and prac- tice driving when you are 15 years and 9 months old. Private practice driving of snowmobiles is not allowed.

Do you need a special license to drive in Sweden? ›

All U.S. driver's licenses are valid in Sweden, making it easy for U.S. citizens to rent a car and explore the country. However, if you're staying in Sweden for more than a year, you'll need to obtain a Swedish driver's license.

What countries don't accept U.S. drivers license? ›

Countries that Require Americans to Obtain an IDP to Drive Overseas. International Driving Permits are Required* in the following countries for US Licensed Drivers: Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Italy, Japan, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, and Thailand.

Can I convert my driving license in Sweden? ›

You can exchange your EEA driving licence for a Swedish one if your licence is valid and you are permanently resident in Sweden. In that case, you need to have a photo taken at one of our driving test centres.

Does my U.S. driver license work in Europe? ›

If you're American or Canadian, your passport and driver's license are all you need in most European countries. However, some countries also require an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP is an official translation of your US license (making it easier for a local police officer to write out a ticket).

Can I rent a car in Sweden with a US driver's license? ›

United States citizens traveling in Sweden who want to rent a car have it easy when it comes to driver's license rules: All U.S. driver's licenses are valid in Sweden as long as the driver is at least 18 years old and the license is still valid at home.

Is it easy for Americans to drive in Sweden? ›

Driving in Sweden is not difficult and actually quite relaxed. Apart from the big cities, there are hardly any four-lane roads and you are usually driving on a two-lane road. In addition, keep in mind that there are still countless unpaved roads.

What is risk 1 on Sweden driving license? ›

Risk 1 (or 'Riskettan') is the first part of a mandatory, two-part Risk Education that all drivers must complete by Swedish Law. Risk 1 is the theoretical component. Risk 1 is 3 hours long and is conducted in a group of max 16 participants. We run Risk 1 in English at My Driving Academy in many cities around Sweden.

How much does a driver's license cost in Sweden? ›

Price & cost of a driving licence – how much a Swedish driving licence costs. The average price for a driving licence is 15,000 kr. If you handle everything yourself, without lessons at a traffic school, the price for the mandatory elements is around 4,000 kr.

What is the driving age in Sweden? ›

Swedish driving licences (Swedish: Körkort) adhere to a standard set in the European Economic Area. 18 years is the minimum age to obtain a licence for cars (lower for some vehicles).

Who is the authority of driving license in Sweden? ›

The Swedish Transport Agency is the central agency for driving licences. The Swedish Transport Agency and the Swedish Transport Administration share the responsibility for matters relating to driving licences.

Can you snowmobile in Sweden? ›

Activity facts. Drive a snowmobile through northern Sweden's magnificent winter landscape. Amazing views, white hilly landscapes, and ice-covered lakes awaits — an exciting snowmobile adventure through the wilderness.

Do you need a driver's license for snowmobile in Norway? ›

You need to be minimum 18 years old and hold a valid driver's license to operate a snowmobile. Passengers needs to be minimum 7 years old. Each child must be accompanied by an adult. Drivers and passengers must be minimum 130cm in height to meet the safety requirements.

What is the A2 licence in Sweden? ›

A2 – medium-sized motorcycle

The A2 licence category entitles the holder to ride medium-sized motorcycles with a net power output of no more than 35 kW and a net power to kerb weight ratio of no more than 0.2 kW/kg.

Can tourists drive in Sweden? ›

If you have a foreign driving licence, you can drive a car with it in Sweden. You must always have your driving licence with you when you are driving a car.

Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Kareem Mueller DO

Last Updated:

Views: 5824

Rating: 4.6 / 5 (66 voted)

Reviews: 81% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Kareem Mueller DO

Birthday: 1997-01-04

Address: Apt. 156 12935 Runolfsdottir Mission, Greenfort, MN 74384-6749

Phone: +16704982844747

Job: Corporate Administration Planner

Hobby: Mountain biking, Jewelry making, Stone skipping, Lacemaking, Knife making, Scrapbooking, Letterboxing

Introduction: My name is Kareem Mueller DO, I am a vivacious, super, thoughtful, excited, handsome, beautiful, combative person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.